What causes baby acne? First of all, acne in adults, teenagers, or babies is influenced by common factors such as oils, bacteria, and hormones. It is thought that the mother’s lingering hormones, along with the baby’s oils, drive baby acne. This is why baby acne is worse during their first month of life.
SOOTHE Baby Acne
Here are a few handy dos and don’ts for handling baby acne:
- Don’t try and scrub away the acne. Physical scrubbing can actually create more aggravation and more redness.
- Don’t use over-the-counter adult acne medications such as benzoyl peroxide. These adult topical products may cause significant irritation to a baby’s skin that lead to more redness and worsening of the condition.
- Don’t stop breast feeding thinking that will help settle a baby’s acne issue. Continue breast feeding as usual.
- Don’t worry about scarring. Baby acne rarely causes any significant cosmetic issues and usually resolves gradually on its own.
- Do continue with gentle cleansing on the baby’s face without soap. Instead, use a soft baby washcloth around the eyebrows and nose. If desired, a gentle cleanser such as Baby Pibu’s tear-free Bathtime Wash can be used with your fingers, taking care to avoid the eyes.
- Do use over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone cream twice daily for one day to reduce the redness. This can be especially important if there is an important photo opportunity or visit from family or friends. Do not use the hydrocortisone for more than one day.
- Do know that baby acne will resolve on its own and may last for a few weeks.
- Do know that other conditions such as cradle cap and eczema on the face can make baby’s acne appear much worse than it is. Know that this is ok.
2-in-1 Tear Free Wash
|Pibu™ Category||Daily Care|
|Uses||2-in-1 hair and body cleanser|
|Smells Like||A hint of lavender|
|Feels Like||Creamy, relaxing, easy to rinse off|
|Derm-momRX||Tear-free, naturally-derived, non-toxic, hypoallergenic, safe and gentle for everyday use for all ages,recommended by the National Eczema Association|
- Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate
- *Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate
- *Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Acrylates Copolymer
- *Zemea Propanediol
- *Ethylene Glycol Monostearate
- *dl-Panthenol (Vitamin B5)
- *Niacin (Vitamin B3)
- *Tocopheryl acetate (Vitamin E)
- *Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract
- *Lavandula Augustifolia (Lavender) Oil
- *Citric Acid
- *Ethylhexylglycerin *naturally-derived ingredient