As this July 4th weekend comes to a close, let’s take a moment to reflect on freedom – those that we enjoy every day, living in the United States – and those to which we’ve been introduced as we journey on this road called motherhood.
- The freedom to walk into the grocery store or drugstore in your jammie pants and hair in a scrunchi – to buy milk, diapers, baby wipes or wine. Whatever that household emergency is, as a Mom, you don’t need to dress for it!
- The freedom to talk about any bodily fluid, freely and without flinching, grimacing or blushing. You’ve seen and experienced them all!
- The freedom to use words like “woobie,” “poopy,” “binky” and “pee-pees” with a straight face – and expect a serious answer in return.
- The freedom to walk into the finest, most exclusive boutique in town and ask that your newly potty-trained child please be allowed to use the restroom.
- The freedom to check on your sleeping children no less than three times a night – and still be considered perfectly normal by your spouse.
- The freedom to consider pizza as fulfilling three food groups — grains, dairy and fruit — and to serve it more than once a week.
- The freedom to forget the last day you actually showered or when you sat down to eat a meal.
- The freedom to walk into work with a princess sticker on your backside and a Cheerio in your pocket.
- The freedom to catch fireflies, play hopscotch, have tea parties and trap monsters – because that’s just what you’re doing that day.
- The freedom to believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, leprechauns and guardian angels – now and forever.
- The freedom to be over tired, over stressed, over scheduled and underpaid – and want to do it all over again.
So, here’s to holiday weekends, fireworks and backyard barbeques – and the freedom to enjoy the blessings life has bestowed upon us.
Have a great week – from your Baby ™ team!