You’ve heard all the research, articles, websites and warnings about keeping your baby out of the sun. With summer right around the corner, the last thing you or your child want is to stay cooped up inside over the next few months, just because of a little UVA and UVB rays. Thankfully, we live in a modern age when you can find anything you need and that includes protective clothing for your little one. So, sit back and let us do the work for you as we give you some of the best sun hats and best sun shirts for Baby this season!
- One Step Ahead Sun Smarties Swim Trunks: With cute, beach designs, these board shorts are not only UPF 50+ but also extremely comfortable for your little guy. The shorts are a soft material with an elastic waist and even include a built-in swim diaper! Moms have their choice of 3 different styles and sizing from 12 months to 5T.
- L.Bean: This retailer always seems to know what to do and their options for baby swimwear does not disappoint. First, they have their BeanSport swimwear that includes a myriad of swimsuits (all with UPF 50+) that you can put together for a precious summer look – and still be protecting your baby! From board shorts and rash guards to a wide array of girls’ swimsuit styles, choose from fun styles, sizes and colors. And if this wasn’t enough, the fabrics are also chlorine-resistant so you’ll get a lot of life out of your little one’s suit! But it doesn’t stop there. Sometimes, you just need a single piece and the BeanSport Long-sleeved Surf Shirt is perfect. It is soft, full-coverage, UPF 50+ and able to be handed down since it’s unisex! It saves moms from having to apply and reapply the covered areas and is comfy for your child to wear. Sizes 3 months to 4T give you what you need.
- Play sun protective gear is another great line to know for summer. This brand offers well-priced, comfortable, UPF 50+ sun shirts ranging in sizes from 6 months to 4T. Called the Breathe Easy Sun Protection Shirt, this product allows your little one to be out and about with less worry for you. i.Play also offers an excellent sun hat, featuring a wide brim and a longer flap in the back so your baby’s face, head and neck are all protected. But i.Play doesn’t stop there. They also feature the very popular, stylish Flap Sun Protection Swim Hat that comes in several patterns and fabrics, all with wide brims and straps and an adjustable toggle that lets your baby use this hat as she grows. The wicking liner and quick dry material make this hat great to use throughout the day.
- Garnet Hill Swimlids: This product combines the best of both worlds – the protection and coverage of a baseball cap with the fit of a swim cap! This is a seamless hat so it won’t bother your baby and the quick dry material makes it great to take in the pool, ocean and out again. Featured in a variety of fun colors, your little one will be easy to spot this summer!
- Coolibar Kids Surfs Up All Sport Hat: With a 3 inch brim and a draped neck guard, you are protecting your baby’s skin in a comfortable, safe yet stylish way. Because the hat is comfy, your little one is more likely to keep it on. With UPF 50+, you reduce your stress – and your sunscreen application process!
- Mott50 Mini Swimsuit: Switching back to swimsuits for a moment, the UPF 50+ protection is a great feature but what moms love about this is the zipper in back so you can just peel your little girl out of her swimsuit! With little to no fuss, this swimsuit comes in a variety of styles and colors, long sleeves and thumbholes so even your daughter’s hands are protected from the sun’s harmful rays.
Sunscreen is key for you and your children, but protective clothing makes your job even easier. Saving time on sunscreen application and reapplication as well as peace of mind that you didn’t forget or “miss a spot,” you’ll feel more confident taking your little ones out in the sun this summer with one or some of these sun hats and sun shirts. We’ve hit some of the highlights in protective wear but there are many options available – UV Skinz, Flap Happy, SwimZip, Twinklebelle, Mott 50 and Sun Precautions are also great brands to shop.
So don’t be scared of a little summer – avoid the burn, protect your babies and earn some Mom of the Year Points by ensuring your little ones are dressed for success in the sun!
- Keong, Lori. “The Best Sunscreen and Sun Protective Clothing for Kids and Babies.” 5/18/18. http://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-baby-sunscreen.html
- Pena, Amanda. “11 Adorable UV Swimsuits for Babies.” 6/11/18. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/uv-swimsuits-for-babies_n_5b1eb414e4b0bbb7a0e0160a?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKLKX53ajd-Vr95I06tFwNT6_1gugNZDyu_ha1XqwwqEPrGnxi_30FPy_VYvoA9afdYshxfkHWc9i3iCVZfvc82qI05wv33flz1tq__WQQf7Q83eCkATQokXoCHm8Q0uj60k_tcYpiZmZuoxvboZAPMe2q9Xg38GhL_ZFu0pLHcx
- “Sun Protective Clothing for Kids: Cute Parent-Tested Picks.” Parents.com. https://www.parents.com/kids/safety/outdoor/sun-protection-clothes-for-kids/
- Ward, Teri. “7 Best Sun Hats for Babies.” Familyvacationcritic.com. 9/5/18. https://www.familyvacationcritic.com/best-sun-hats-for-babies/art/